Natural sweeteners and artificial sweeteners are popular choices as sugar alternatives and for those undertaking sugar free diets. What’s not to like? They are low calorie sweeteners which can help consumers cut down on calories and control weight, help to manage chronic conditions such as diabetes, and potentially prevent cavities.
However key differences between the two that are important to note. Natural sweeteners as their name suggests are typically derived from plants or herbs. As such these sweeteners possess the benefits such as carotenoids, flavonoids, and other plant substances that have antioxidant properties. On the other hand, artificial sweeteners are manufactured with chemicals and additives to make it taste sweet.
Weight Loss Tips
Weight loss isn’t as easy as some health guru’s might have you believe. It takes a concerted effort on your part to make it happen. However there are a few tips that are very easy to implement and can have great benefits
- Calorie Counting: Start making mental notes of you daily intake of calories. Speak with your GP about what ‘your’ recommended daily intake is. Don’t use averages or calculators online as they can be very misleading. Once you have this figure it is a fantastic way to monitor and adjust your intake. Knowledge is power, so use it to your advantage!
- Natural Sweetener: Each teaspoon of sugar contains approx 16 calories and 4 carbohydrates. SweetLeaf Stevia is a popular choice because it has zero calories, zero GI, zero carbohydrates and tastes great. You should be looking to include this in drinks, cooking, desserts and more (some stevia recipe ideas here!). When calorie counting you’ll begin to notice how much sugar is in your daily diet and how much benefit there is in adopting a natural sweetener.
- Diet partner: Find a friend, collegue, partner that will hold you accountable. It is a great way to loose weight because you’ll be constantly reminded. Just remember, encouragement goes both ways!
- Fit Picture: Get a picture of yourself when you were at your target weight and get it enlarged and put it at your desk or in a place you will be constantly reminded. If you don’t have a photo, then photo shop one! It’s important you give yourself a visual goal that way it makes it more realistic and achievable.
Sugar Free Diets
Sugar free diets have grown in popularity in recent times thanks in part to epidemics like childhood obesity but also because of greater research into the effects of high sugar diets on our health.
1 teaspoon of sugar contains approx 16 calories and 4 grams of carbohydrates. When you multiple this by the number of grams of sugar intake in your daily diet it can be very concerning.
Artifical sweeteners were all the range until a number of reported health scares caused consumers to turn against them and favor natural sweeteners like Stevia. Stevia has quickly become the world’s most popular sugar alternative for a number of reasons.
- Unlike most natural sweeteners, Stevia doesn’t contain Fructose which means it naturally has zero calories
- It maintains the benefits that natural sweeteners posses such as carotenoids, flavonoids, and other plant substances that have antioxidant properties
- Unlike other sweeteners Stevia offers these benefits and is great tasting